About Me

My photo
I don't much care for human nature unless it's all candied over with art.

8/11/2013

Recipe - Baba Ganoush

One of my favourite things to do after a long hard day of writing for no money is to cook. My kitchen has an open view wall facing the living room. While my fiance plays video games, I set up my laptop on the bureau facing (well, on top of the microwave on top of the bureau facing - yes, we have a microwave in our living room. Apartment living is the bomb!) and watch some t.v., usually Iron Chef or some other cooking show.
image
If I'm really lucky I'll have a beer. If I'm super extra lucky, I have a little helper waiting for me by the door:
image
Tonight I made Baba Ganoush, a Middle Eastern roasted eggplant dip that's very simple to prepare.
First, you roast the eggplant, which I rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt before putting it in the oven. Also make sure to prick it all over with a fork or else it will explode.
image
When it's ready (about 40 minutes), let it cool then peel the skin and discard. The insides go into the food processor (or you can mash it with a fork).
Next, 2 tbs or less of Tahini.
image
Depending on where you live Tahini might be hard to find, but it's essential and a 6 dollar pot will last you months in the fridge.
Add your seasoning. Basics are lemon, garlic and salt but everything else is to your taste. I like fresh parsley, pepper and a chili. Tonight I used half a jalapeno. You can also put cumin, black olives and sour cream.
image
Give it a whirl in the food processor and add extra seasoning as needed.
image
And that's it. Baba Ganoush is fucking awesome and you should make it and eat it with pita and veggies or over rice.

No comments: