About Me

My photo
I don't much care for human nature unless it's all candied over with art.

2/14/2014

Blog - Hairspiration

I've been growing my fine, plain brown hair out and it's taking a long time. I've heard most people's hair grows at the same rate but I cut it to the nape of my neck two years ago and it's only now just barely touched down below my shoulders. My fiance, on the other hand, hasn't trimmed his hair in a few months and now has a veritable hair cape. This is my struggle.

When I was a teen, my hair grew like a thicket. It was hippie long and tragically, perpetually parted down the middle. As I got older, my hair lost the strength to support itself. When it started getting long it would start breaking, especially around the crown. There's a special kind of humility that manifests when buying hair thinning solution from the salon (with a gift card, of course) at 28 years old.

I use Aveda Invati
It's a tonic that invigorates your scalp to open pores and promote hair growth. It does this with chemicals and magic. Amazingly, and thankfully for the price, it works! I use it sparingly enough, targeting only the worst areas. While my hair isn't model-thick, I can no longer see my scalp anywhere I'm not supposed to.

On suggestion of my hair stylist I try to keep it short in the front to prevent the hair from breaking under it's own weight. However, I usually cut my own hair, and since I have the skills of a hyperactive monkey figuring out how to use scissors for the first time, I've managed to fashion myself one hell of a lady mullet.


(i.e. but 1000% less cute)

I have done my worst trying to get it to look respectable so there's nothing left to do but leave it alone and let it grow out. Time heals all wounds.

But I hate it right now. It's boring and I'm bored and winter is long. So I'm going to do something that the introvert in me is railing against and dye it a bright and crazy colour.

My experience with this begins and ends with high school experimentation with Manic Panic. And since I went to a progressive, do-it-yourself, fascist high school, I was never allowed to actually dye all the hair on my head, just the tips. This worked when my hair was long but since it's now 16 different lengths, I fear replicating that look will make me appear like some kind of diseased clown. So it's all or nothing.

But there are so many options:


and I'm not crazy confident that I can do it properly myself. I'd also like to avoid bleaching my hair if at all possible.

Which is why I'm asking you, dear blogosphere, for your help. Have you ever dyed your hair a bright colour? Did you do it yourself? Is it possible to get great results without bleach? How do you avoid looking childish, or cheap? What colour do you think would be best for someone with a very pale complexion?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've dyed my hair plenty of bright colours over the years (in fact I can't think of one I've not had, although usually only in conjunction with black - the only solid ones I've had were Fudge purple and some kind of off-the-shelf pillar box red). However, because I'm really dark, I've always had to bleach first and can confirm, if you're wanting to grow your hair out then really don't bleach it. In fact, leave it alone as much as possible (boring). If you want a bright colour then you're lucky having lighter hair because you'd get away with a strong semi colour. Any permanent colour will damage your hair loads more. I'd also really recommend bicarb of soda and vinegar instead of shampoo and conditioner - I'm not sure if it works on everyone, but my hair was wrecked from years of dye, product and heat styling and now I've not used shampoo, any product, or any heat styling in nearly a year and it grew like weeds last summer, which it's not done since I was a teenager.
/hair nerding (I will talk about hair for hours!!) x

Protagitron said...

I... may buy the same tonic now that it has your recommendation. Thank you, stressful job that thinned my hair last year. Sigh.

My friend got part of her hair dyed robin's egg blue at the Coupe Bizarre here in TO. It looked great, but be warned even the best dye job is liable to go from bright to faded fairly quickly, so make sure you like the lighter shade as much as you do the original one.

Laura said...

@die booth I'm really interested in trying the soda and vinegar rinse. I prefer to wash my hair as little as possible because otherwise it's flat, static-y and dry but dirty hair is obvs not a great look. Is there a special ratio I should use? I'm excited!

@MsProtagitron Good point about the shade. Dye doesn't stay in my hair at the best of times so I'm curious what colour it'll end up being. That's why I'm leaning towards purple because then I can cop "lilac" over "washed out".

And I hope you do use the Aveda stuff, it's really great. Be warned though that there's something in it that my cats go absolutely nuts for so if you're around felines be prepared for head attacks.

Susan Scott said...

ah! HAIR! Sounds like you've got some good advice in comments. I've never heard of soda and vinegar. I use regular shampoo, mostly organic. And I've done the professional root treatments (colour) and own .. Get it well styled and that's half the problem solved. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Interesting! I love getting unusual styles and colours. My hair grows very fast, and it is really thick. When I get it cut my hairdresser always comments on how much hair she has cut out and off, but it still looks like I have lots.

Six weeks ago I had my left front cut to my the top of my ear with another layer just touching my earlobe. The other side is shaped around my face and the the back is cut in a slop, one side is longer than the other. I also wanted blue streaks, but the colour didn't take.

The style has just about grown out and the sides are way past my earlobes.

By the way, I was just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge to say hi!
CarolynBrown-Books


Unknown said...

I also use Aveda products and my hairdresser is a trained Aveda stylist. The product is the best!

CarolynBrown-Books

J said...

One friend always is amazing and daring with her hair. I love the deep red colors she dyes it. Good luck with your next hair style selection, and I hope you are enjoying the A to Z Challenge.

Sweetbearies Art Projects

Sweetbearies Art Photography

Kate Larkindale said...

I dye my hair all the time, different colors. Reds look amazing when you first do them, but they fade out really fast. Plum and burgundy seem to last longer, but for me, they're too dark now because I'm greying and the white shows up in the regrowth too much.

I hear herbal dyes are pretty good, so you may want to try one of those. I haven't tried them because I still have too much chemical dye in my hair.

Glenda said...

I have not dyed mine a bright color but it is thinking out a lot now and it used to be nice and thick so I will see if I can find what you use and try it out.

mshatch said...

I'd probably go blond, like the cute girl in the pic - but I also really like the look of the red with the blond ends. If I were younger I'd love to do that...